Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Devi I

Devi I


It was a shock, disappointment and also coming to terms with reality.

Having not hopped pandals and seen Devi from close quarters for nearly two decades, my portrait of Durga was very different from what I saw when I finally decided to take a close look.

There was lot of excitement and expectations. My first date with Devi, as she came down from the abode of Kailash for her yearly visit. I was there when the Unknown Flying Object (UFO) landed carrying the damsel-in-demand on her four days sojourn in this planet.

Standing on the tarmac, I waited eagerly for the UFO doors to open. It was a chartered flight carrying Durga and her entourage to the earth to kick-off the days of fervour, gaiety, celebrations and joy. And then stepped out Devi. Oh, not my Goddess!

To me Devi was still traditional. I expected Devi to turn up in a gorgeous Banarasi sari or maybe in something more suppressed in colour, but an elegant drape. But here was Devi in black Armani working suit, Gucci shoes, Versace scarf, Dunhill belt, Ray Ban sunglass, Louis Vuitton handbag and Apple iphone.

What an eyesore! I thought, all present there must be thinking having abandoned her traditional attire, is it left to imagination that even Devi’s lingerie could be part of Victoria’s Secret? Devi has been corporatised. Devi has become a victim of multi-national brands and cultural imperialism.

Perhaps, Devi thought that fashion having advanced on earth she could make any kind of sartorial statement. Not really. Devi cannot take everything for granted. Her beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Devi failed to understand no matter how much one leaped forward in haute couture; one always carried the tradition with oneself.

But was Devi looking attractive? Well, I was so confused and jilted that I couldn’t make out what made me look at her, was it her looks or was it her “so different” appearance? I really don’t know. Truth is that Devi epitomizes the rich, cultural Bengali tradition and out of it, Devi looks out of place.

But then this is just the beginning. Will check out how Devi turns out as days pass by.




No comments:

Post a Comment